The Culture Map

Dear beloved board members and support team,
as promised here there are the topics related to the Culture Map I’d like to build.

After reading carefully all explanations, you should evaluate yourself scoring each topic from 1 to 10, according to the topic description that provides the best fit for you.

1. Communicating
  2. Evaluating
  3. Persuading
  4. Leading
  5. Deciding
  6. Trusting
  7. Disagreeing
  8. Scheduling

Explanation.

1. Communicating
Communication in a multi-cultural environment can be tricky, due to our different way to communicate from our native culture.
There are two opposites:

• low context communication (1)
  • high context communication (10)

In a low context communication, a good communication is precise, simple and clear. Messages are expressed and understood at face rule. Repetition is appreciated if it helps clarify the communication.

In a high context communication, a good communication is sophisticated, nuanced and layered. Messages are both spoken and read between the lines. Messages are often implied but not plainly expressed.

2. Evaluating
Evaluating is referring to the act of providing negative feedback.
There are two opposites:

• direct negative feedback (1)
  • indirect negative feedback (10)

A direct negative feedback is a negative feedback provided frankly, bluntly, honestly.
Negative messages stand alone, not softened by positive ones. Absolute descriptors are often used (i.e. totally inappropriate, completely unprofessional, etc…) when criticising. Criticism may be given to an individual in front of a group.

An indirect negative feedback is a negative feedback provided softly, subtly, diplomatically. Positive messages are used to wrap negative ones. Qualifying descriptors are often used (i.e. sort of inappropriate, slightly unprofessional, etc…) when criticising. Criticism is given only in private.

3. Persuading
Persuading is referring to the ability of persuading other to support your ideas.
There are two opposites:

• principle-first (1)
  • application-first (10)

In a principle-first persuading orientation, individuals have been trained to first develop the theory or complex problem before presenting a fact, statement or opinion. The preference is to begin a message or report by building a theoretical argument before moving to a conclusion. The conceptual principles underlying each situation are valued.

In an application-first persuading orientation, individuals are trained to begin with a fact, statement or opinion and later add concepts back up or explain the conclusion as necessary. The preference is to begin a message or a report with an executive summary or bullet points. Discussions are approached in a practical, concrete manner. Theoretical or philosophical discussions are avoided in a business environment.

4. Leading
Leading is referring to how anyone should act to be perceived as a good leader.
There are to opposites:

• egalitarian (1)
  • hierarchical (10)

In an egalitarian leading approach, the ideal distance between a subordinate and a boss is low. The best boss is a facilitator among equals. Organisational structures are flat. Communication often skips hierarchical lines.

In a hierarchical leading approach, the distance between a subordinate and a boss is high. The best boss is a strong director who leads from the front. Status is important. Organisational structures are multilayered and fixed. Communication follows set hierarchical lines.

5. Deciding
Deciding is referring to how a decision should be made in a group.
There are to opposites:

• consensual (1)
  • top-down (10)

In a consensual deciding approach, decisions are made in groups through unanimous agreement.
In a top-down deciding approach, decisions are made by individuals (usually the boss).

6. Trusting
Trusting is referring to how people create a trusted relationship.
There are to opposites:

• task-based (1)
  • relationship-based (10)

In a task-based trusting approach, trust is built through business-related activites. Work relationship are build and dropped easily, based on the practicality of the situation. You do good work consistently, you are reliable, I enjoy working with you, I trust you.
In a relationship-based trusting approach, trust is build through sharing meals, evening drinks, and visit at the coffee machine. Work relationships build up slowly over the long term. I’ve seen who you are at deep level, I’ve shared personal time with you, I know others well who trust you, I trust you.

7. Disagreeing
Disagreeing is referring to how people express their disagreement with others.
There are to opposites:

• confrontational (1)
  • avoid confrontation (10)

In a confrontational disagreeing approach, disagreement and debate are positive for the team or organisation. Open confrontation is appropriate and will not negatively impact the relationship.
In an avoid confrontational disagreeing approach, disagreement and debate are negative for the team or organisation. Open confrontation is inappropriate and will break up group harmony or negatively impact the relationship.

8. Scheduling
Scheduling is referring to how people approach their scheduling.
There are to opposites:

• linear time (1)
  • flexible time (10)

In a linear time scheduling approach, project steps are approached in a sequential fashion, completing one task before beginning the next. One thing at time. No interruptions. The focus is on the deadline and sticking to the schedule. Emphasis is on promptness and good organisation over flexibility.
In a flexible time scheduling approach, project steps are approached in a fluid manner, changing tasks as opportunities arise. Many things are dealt with at once and interruptions are accepted. The focus is on adaptability, and flexibility is valued over organisation.

=====================

How a score will look like?

1. 3
  2. 4
  3. 10
  4. 3
  5. 10
  6. 7
  7. 1
  8. 2
1 Like

Below you’ll find my self assessment:

1. 2
  2. 6
  3. 8
  4. 3
  5. 6
  6. 9
  7. 2
  8. 7
2 Likes

Great job @Mab thanks!
Here it is my self assessment:

1. 8
  2. 1
  3. 3
  4. 1
  5. 5
  6. 10
  7. 1
  8. 2
1 Like
  1. 4
  2. 4
  3. 6
  4. 1
  5. 1
  6. 8
  7. 1
  8. 10
2 Likes
  1. Communicating 6

2. Evaluating 1 (be direct, please)

3. Persuading 8 (facts, please)

4. Leading 3 (egalitarian, but we need someone to make key decisions if we’re unable to reach a democratic conclusion)

5. Deciding 3 (same as 4.)

6. Trusting 2 (work environment shows your reliability imo)

7. Disagreeing 1 (yassss debates)

8. Scheduling 5 (depends on the task)

Sorry for the extra comments, I felt the topics needed additional explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @PeKo for sharing also extra comments: just one comment about communication topic. Actually, a “low context communication” means that we assume that all participants know almost nothing and everything should be explained explicitly, no air-reading. In a “high context communication” it’s quite the opposite: we assume that everyone can ready the “unsaid” and correctly interprete it from the air, instead from words said. So maybe you’d like to modify your self evaluation. Or maybe not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine is: 8.2 (10)
7.10 or if necessary: 7.1
6.1 or if I am pleased: 6.10
5.1 nothing else!
1.1 and of course. 1.10

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Mia for your answers! But I don’t understand your answers regarding topic:

1. Communication
    1. Trusting
    1. Disagreeing
    1. Scheduling

Yes, I didn’t understand, what 1 and 10 means. It means 1 to 10 each.
So I’ll do it again :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, here is my self assessment:

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks @Mia

Morning! Sooooo after much consideration whilst sipping coffee at Vienna Airport, here is my self-assessment:

1. 4
  2. 7
  3. 8
  4. 1
  5. 3
  6. 4
  7. 2
  8. 1
1 Like

Lovely 8. 1 :smiley:
One team, one dream!

I am a simple girl, I like to have a plan and stick to it :smiley:

1 Like

So do I (and other chars…)

1. 1
  2. 1
  3. 10
  4. 1
  5. 7
  6. 1
  7. 5
  8. 1
1 Like

Me too. It is just, what I need!

• Communicating : 8
  • Evaluating : 0 (not even 1, cost a lot to be diplomat, but when it’s good, you will also have some cheering moment)
  • Persuading : 9
  • Leading : 5
  • Deciding : 1
  • Trusting : 1
  • Disagreeing : 1
  • Scheduling : 8
1 Like

Thanks @farlistener! I love such a polarising attitude… :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @Samuel for your help. Also pretty much ON/OFF :smiley: