Save the date: 8th of December 2023 - European Pirates Campaign Coordination Conference in Brussels

Hi all!

This is a very first save the date announcement for a European Pirates Campaign Coordination Conference that will be held in Brussels on December 8th.

Everything written below is still subject to change, and more information will definitely come later down the road, but we figured we should at least announce the date, so people can book it in their calendars

Explanation of the purpose of the event

On December 8th, the pirate delegation will hold a full day event focused on training the EP candidates in the what the Pirates have done in Brussels so far, and how to come across as knowledgeable about the EU institutions. The day will start at 09:00 in the morning, and end at 18:00 in the afternoon (ending 16:00 for those not part of the visitors group). It will take place in room SPAAK 7C50.

We will prioritize inviting top candidates for Pirate parties and allies for the upcoming European Elections, as well as Election Campaign Coordinators. Other participants will be admitted based on availability.

During the event we will hope to explain how the legislative process in th parliament work, to a level where the participants will be able to confidentially talk to others about the daily work of an MEP and their office.

We will also give the participants the tools needed to quickly draw on the expertise of the Group, should they need it for articles, campaign events or other occasions. This will include the contact details to relevant staff in the EP.

We also hope to create a possibility for sharing of ideas and best practices among the participating countries, as well as setting up the necessary network needed for cross national collaboration during campaigns, and with parliamentary delegations of pirates.

Finally we will brief the participants on the political wins by the Pirates in the EP over the years, and how to best use them as talking points during campaigns, to tie the individual campaign to a greater pirate movement narrative.

On the same day the Group will have a separate Parliamentary Leaders Meeting (PLM), for national parliamentary delegations tied to the Group. This will take place in parallel with the European Pirates Campaign Coordination Conference, and be an entirely separate event. However, since we expect there to be some pirates there, we will also invite them to be part of our event as well, based on their availability.

Draft schedule

Replaced by an updated schedule below.

Possibilities for reimbursement

Travel and accommodation can, up to a limit, be covered for some participants by participation in a sponsored visitors Group to the European Parliament. There’s a limited number of slots for this Group, so it will be important to clearly indicate interest to be part of this Group when registering. Any questions regarding the visitors Group can be directed to @cadetblue , who is responsible for this Group.

3 Likes

Hello Mab!

This sounds very interesting. Is there only something planned on friday or also some things planned on the weekend? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Looking forward to it.
Just also informed the german coordinator about the date.

1 Like

There will only be things planned for the Friday, including probably some social meetup in the evening. So there’s room for each participating party to use the Saturday as they see fit. That could be some internal training/teambuilding. Or just as a convenient stress free return travel.

Thanks! You should also encourage him to register here on Discourse!

Hi @Mab @cadetblue thanks for the news.
Count me in!

UPDATE on who will be invited to this event:

Pirate Parties with already elected candidate lists:

• Each party will be invited to send all candidates who have been elected to the list of the party. Up to five candidates will be included in the sponsored visitors Group (if registering no later than November 16).
  • Additional candidates can be included if there’s vacant slots (which will be communicated on November 17th)
  • Which candidates will be included in the sponsored Group will be determined by the party in question. If the party don’t indicate a preference we will include candidates based on the list ranking.
  • Each party will be invited to send one campaign/election coordinator that will be included in the sponsored visitors Group in addition to the candidates (if registering no later than November 16)
  • They will be invited to send one additional campaign coordinator, but this one will only be included in the visitors Group if there’s vacant slots (which will be communicated on November 17th)

Pirate Parties who hasn’t elected a candidate list:

• Each party will be invited to send one campaign/election coordinator that will be included in the sponsored visitors Group (if registering no later than November 16)
  • They will be invited to send one additional campaign coordinator, but this one will only be included in the visitors Group if there’s vacant slots (which will be communicated on November 17th)

In addition to the Pirate Parties, we will also invite MKKP (Hungary) and Alternativet (Denmark) to be part of the visitors Group, following the same rules as for Pirate Parties above.

Registration will be done through a webform that will be sent to all Member parties together with the formal invitation, and to those candidates which we have contact info for. Please mind the deadline of 16 November to be guaranteed slots in the visitor Group.

1 Like

UPDATE:

Here’s an updated schedule for December 8th. It is still subject to change

09:00-12:30 Morning session

• 08:30-9:00 arrivals and accreditation
  • 09:00-9:20 welcome and registration, including introduction by Mikulas
  • 09:20-09:40 Presentation of the five topics selected for the Campaign Workshops
  • 09:40-10:30 Split into five Groups to workshop on the five topics
  • 10:30-11:00 Coffee break
  • 11:00-11:30 Presentation of the Campaign ideas, with external feedback
  • 11:30-12:00 How is a MEP office set up, and how does it work?
  • 12:00-12:30 What is the role of the MEP in the legislative process?

12:30 – 13:30 Lunch

13:30-16:00 Afternoon session

• 13:30-14:00 Presentation of the Greens/EFA information Campaign.
  • 14:00-14:30 PR presentation
  • 14:30-14:50 Coffee break
  • 14:50-15:30 European and National Pirate successes
  • 15:30-15:40 closing remarks by Marcel
  • 16:00-18:00 visit to the EP and Parlamentarium (for sponsored visitors only)

20:00 until late: Social meetup outside of the EP

I’ve just registered for the event and the EP visit using the form at the link provided, but I got no automatic confirmation by email that my module has been received, just a message at the end: I would suggest to add a confirmation message via email. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone! My name is Maija, I’m the Pirate Parties Network Intern at the EP. I’m involved in organising the event and also serving as the group head for the associated visitor group.

Information about a pre-arranged accommodation option:

As shared accommodation arrangements have been asked after for the previous few PPEU events, we now have a booking for 24 for two nights (Thursday to Saturday) at Meininger Hostel Bruxelles City Center . The rooms are shared, and breakfast is included for both mornings. The hostel is a nice one one we have good previous experiences of, and conveniently located (25min from EP by public transport, 10-15min by foot to city centre).

Spots for this booking will be dealt out on a first come, first served basis, so if you’re interested, please contact me as soon as possible. I can also answer any questions you might have about the arrangement. You can find me on the PPEU Mattermost by the same handle (@cadetblue), or reach out by email (maija.raudaskoski@ext.europarl.europa.eu).

// UPDATE 16.11.2023
We got some added spots for the booking (from 16 to 24 beds total), I’ve edited the post to reflect this. At time of this edit, 13 of the 24 spots have been reserved.

// 23.11.2023
18/24 spots reserved

// 4.12.2023
20/24 spots reserved

Thanks @cadetblue for the news. Can we have a confirmation about being inserted into the EP visitor group for Dec. 8th? After filling and sending out the form, I got no automatic confirmation email. Thanks.

@solibo we received your registration. We’ve scheduled a first batch of emails confirmations for the visitor Group tomorrow, and in those cases there’s an uncertainty (too many signups or lack of information) we should be able to sort it on Friday.

1 Like

Great, thanks @Mab I think it’s important to keep the group updated on communication. Is there also a dedicated Mattermost channel where we can easily chat all together? It would be helpful. Thanks.

it will be created once we know who’s coming

1 Like

Hello All,
It was inspiring to have met you all last december in Bruxelles.
In the working groups we talked about being #StrongerTogether in the EP24 campaign…
For exanple in videoproduction and in sharing ideas, texts, goodies photo’s, etc… Pirates and Greens EFA?
Is there an online place for this?
A list with phonenumbers and e-mail of active campaigners , contacts per country, who want to exchange above mentiond or other things in Europe towards the upcoming elections?
Cheers from Amsterdam, The Netherlands,
Mirjam van Rijn
Piratenpartij- De Groenen

@Matthijs @Saira @wab @david.d @Andrel
Missing @danny :people_hugging:

1 Like

hi @Mirry,

You are always free to use this Discourse as a place to share ideas and material for the campaign. And if someone provides me with the email addresses of the top three dutch candidates (send them to mattias.bjarnemalm@europarl.europa.eu) I can make sure you get access to the Greens/EFA candidate information site, with briefings on key topics/votes in the EP.