Final text: Drug and Addiction Policy

This is the final text as presented by the chapter coordinator, please have a look. Just a reminder we gave ourselves until Friday 9th June COB to table amendments.

The “War on Drugs” has failed. Prohibition ties up resources and causes immense costs. The unnecessary prosecution and conviction of users of psychoactive substances not only harms society through ever-increasing costs for the police and judiciary but also pushes marginalised people into illegality and to the margins of society, instead of regulating substance use outside a black market. This promotes the black market and organised crime. Many EU member states are planning a reassessment, legalisation, or decriminalisation of cannabis, which can only be a first step towards a “New Drug and Addiction Policy”. Drug policy should first and foremost be health policy, taking into account the social and economic factors that promote drug use and addiction. A life without drugs in complete abstinence is inconceivable for most people, and freedom of the individual means being able to decide whether and which substances to consume. The state should only intervene in a regulatory way, depending on scientific findings about the danger of the substance/addiction.

The European Pirate Party believes that drug and addiction policies should be grounded in scientific evidence, prioritise individual autonomy and public health, and take into account the social and economic factors that drive drug use and addiction. The party supports a revision of the UN Conventions on Drugs and their implementation into EU law to create evidence-based drug policies that prioritise public health and harm reduction. The party believes that policies aimed at reducing the negative consequences of drug use should be prioritised over punitive approaches. These policies could include measures such as decriminalising drug use and possession, expanding access to evidence-based treatment, and regulating drugs to ensure safety and quality.

Pirates therefore advocate that the EU:

• work towards a rewrite and, if necessary, a termination of the UN conventions on psychoactive substances in the direction of a science-based view and have cannabis and other substances removed from the list of illicit drugs.
  • creates a framework that facilitates the scientific approach within which, among other things, information can be exchanged and a contribution made to research on psychoactive substances, and thus therapies with these substances can be researched and implemented ( e.g., cancer treatment, ADHD, LongCovid).
  • create a framework that encourages member states to decriminalise, legalise and regulate cannabis and other substances in order to limit the black market and better ensure consumer and youth protection, as well as respect the philosophy of the free EU single market.
  • takes measures to regulate legal substances that are particularly harmful to health, such as alcohol and tobacco, and to ensure health, youth and consumer protection, for example by banning advertising and restricting lobbying.

One of their key priorities is harm reduction policies for drug users, and they believe that the European Union should encourage the introduction of harm reduction services such as drug-checking services, drug consumption rooms, and substitution therapy programs. The party argues that these services are an essential tool for reducing the harms associated with drug use, such as overdose deaths and the spread of blood-borne diseases. They also argue that these services can help to reduce the stigma associated with drug use and provide support for individuals who want to seek help for their drug use.

The European Pirate Party supports the regulation of cannabis for personal use in the EU. The party believes that criminalising personal use of cannabis is ineffective, disproportionately harms marginalised communities, and diverts resources from more urgent public health needs. The party advocates for evidence-based cannabis policies that prioritise harm reduction, including regulation of the production, distribution, and sale of cannabis to ensure safety and quality.

The European Pirate Party advocates for the legalisation of psychedelic-assisted therapy. The party believes that patients should have the right to access these therapies under medical supervision, and that they should be regulated to ensure safety and efficacy. The party supports the development of evidence-based policies aimed at expanding access to psychedelic-assisted therapy and promoting research into the therapeutic potential of these substances.

The European Pirate Party supports a joint European alcohol and tobacco policy focused on harm reduction. The party believes that public health should be a priority, and policies should be evidence-based and aimed at reducing harm to individuals and communities. The party advocates for measures such as education campaigns to promote responsible use of alcohol and tobacco, discourage excessive consumption, and prohibit advertising and marketing.

The European Pirate Party advocates for rational regulation of gambling in the EU. This includes the principle of informed choice, where players should be provided with information on how each game works, the house advantage, the risk of loss and the cost of the game.

Hello. First of all, thank you for the final draft.

In the name of the PPLU I have to veto a sentence.

We ask to have this sentence removed because we think that it could be misunderstood as Pirates saying that f.ex “a life without heroin is inconceivable”.

• create a framework that encourages member states to decriminalise, legalise and regulate cannabis and other substances in order to limit the black market and better ensure consumer and youth protection, as well as respect the philosophy of the free EU single market. → We would want to reduce this § to cannabis and remove the word “and other substances” because this could be anything from herbs to heroin.

I suggest we unify the way we address the party- in other chapters (at least the ones I managed to read so far) we mostly refer to ourselves as “Pirates”, and here as the “The European Pirate Party”.

1 Like

I support this proposal to be submitted to the 13th council meeting - with the amendment of the PPLU. I can do without this sentence.

Thank you for your suggestions, I was unfortunately too busy to get to it sooner. I hope we can work it out before the final meeting of PPEU (8th July).

I am asking if you would take your veto back if that sentence would state the following:

“A world without drugs in complete abstinence is unattainable, and freedom of the individual means having access to relevant information regarding safer use and being able to decide whether and which substances to consume.”

regarding your next suggestion:
yes, this could mean anything from herbs to heroin… but we can be also talking about a lot of things in between that are a lot more relevant for now (for example kratom). i do not see a reason for other substances to not be included in this sentence… overall, decriminalization is recommended by most global expert bodies interested in drug use. i can see that heroin regulation is in the far future for now, but we need to develop the new framework and work out how to address things in the post-war on drugs world :slight_smile:
(related and very recent source: UN experts call for end to global ‘war on drugs’ | OHCHR )

1 Like

thank you for this suggestion. i support it.

Hey. No problem.
Unfortunately, I cannot accept your proposal but I want to make you a counterproposal:
“A world without drugs in complete abstinence is unattainable, but access to relevant information regarding the use of drugs is key in a world where freedom of the individual shoud be the rule”.

Regarding the 2nd suggestion, if the other parties see no problem with it, i’m ok if we keep the 3 words “and other substances”