Proposal for preamble after the Strasbourg Meeting in april 2023

Fore ease of finding the present proposal the text is kept on top. This text is based on input from the Strasbourg meeting. Feel free to read through the discussion in the earlier topic (“First part of discussion”) , for example my thoughts about who it is for. Comment on this text and present amendments and alternatives below.

According to what was suggested in the meeting I have tried to include the wishes put forward. (I have comments on the process there but I leave them out here),

The two first paragraphs is a rewritten version of the asked for “small version” of the presentation of where we came from, who we are, including an explanation of the name, the biggest hurdle for new people to even listen to us (according to at least the experience of Stockholm pirates.).

The third paragraph is an effort to present more of our general values, something that was asked for at the meeting.

The following is basically the existing preamble, (as asked for) dealing with the Pirates and the EU. Trying to minimize EU lingo within it and somewhat connecting it to the first paragraphs.
You may want to check out the text on the EU and the sharing culture in the earlier draft (not included in the final text) also, it can be found under this text. What do you think about that perspective?

This is a version from 20th of june 2023:

A movement for the third millenium/21st century (alternative)

The pirate parties constitute a movement from the 21:st century, for the 21st century. As pirates, we are children of the internet, a new virtual room where most people spend big parts of their time today. The internet rests on a new culture of creativity, knowledge and sharing, without involvement of money. It contains sharing of advanced computer programs for all needs, and those programs have made possible a creative globalisation for people. Money comes into the picture as we pay for the equipment and to reach the net, and today many traditional commercial activities are also present, trying to adapt to the expectations of free sharing with free versions, free trials, financing by advertisements or donations, adding free value etc.

All the way the sharing culture has been facing challenges from legislation regarding copyright and state-sponsored mass surveillance aimed at detecting criminal behaviour. The older political parties and powerful entertainment companies see the free sharing culture mostly as a threat. The establishment’s opponents to the new sharing culture called the free sharing “piracy”, a concept used for illegal copying of goods. As promotors of the sharing culture organised themselves as parties, they somewhat provocatively called themselves the Pirate Parties, as a symbol of freedom and independence.

As a new movement from and for the third millennium the Pirates also open up new perspectives for democracy and deal naturally with modern problems that the established parties often fail to handle. The digitalisation of functions in society has vast possibilities, but it is often applied thoughtlessly, depending on a lack of mutual understandings of involved people. The pirates want to promote a development of the great potentialities of the Internet and digitalisation in general with insight and care, while finding solutions to the downsides. The domination of big tech companies should be reduced. The rapid development of AI must be set in a context that benefits the whole society. We want to see a free, fair and sustainable society, embracing protection of all fundamental human rights, integrity, dignity, the rule of law, justice, non-discrimination, democratization, political transparency and promote a responsible self empowerment in all areas. [The latter is used in Sweden, what do you think?] .

The pirates and the EU [this part is based on the former preamble]

The imperfect democracy within the European Union has existed since its formation and has not been sufficiently addressed in the course of its integration process.

An important goal of all Pirates is to build a solid democratic foundation for the Union. In order to achieve that goal it is crucial to ensure that political processes are more understandable, transparent and accountable, and allowing for participation and influence from citizens.

The EU has ideas of making decisions on appropriate levels. Decisions should not be taken at EU level if they can be better resolved at national, regional or local level. (called subsidiarity). This has to be followed. Decisions at the European level need to be preceded by Europe-wide debate in the nations.

The EU tends to see the Internet primarily as a new commercial market, the digital market, overlooking the potential of the basic free culture of knowledge and sharing. A wider view on culture than that within the present treaties has to be implemented.

Pirates strongly believe that all people must have the right to fair and equal treatment, including living with dignity in a fair economy. It is essential that society respects the rights of minorities. We will stand against discrimination of any kind and oppose movements and institutions that act against Human Rights.

The Internet and its new culture as a medium of communication and free exchange offers tremendous opportunities for political development, overcoming top-down, one-way communication. Pirates will therefore defend the freedom of the Internet with fierce determination at European level as well as on a global scale. There are now around 50 Pirate Parties established across the world, among them 18 in the common organisation in Europe. This is their common program for the EU-elections 2024 and beyond.

For your possible interest, here is the part about the EU that I exchanged for the present preamble. Contains an idea and a hope that I would like to have your thoughts on.

The pirates and the EU
The EU was created as a tool for international exchange through trade, creating an efficient internal market for goods and services. These aims are engraved in founding treaties, that prescribes the policies to perform or abstain from.

On that background, today the EU sees the internet as a new but traditional marketplace, the digital market. The impact of the sharing economy and the global scale of the exchange on the internet as part of a new culture have been unnoticed or disregarded. The EU sided naturally with the big entertainment companies and the governments introducing restrictions on the sharing culture, including mass surveillance and removing messages without trial. .

However, in 2009 the EU got a Charter of Human Rights that promoted the freedom of expression and privacy of communications. Based on that, the Court of Justice has, in a development supported by the pirates, tried to stop indiscriminate mass surveillance.

The Pirates work for moving decisions closer to the citizens and for transparent political procedures. The need for informed citizens with influence on the decisions in an EU-wide debate is vital. The EU:s stated ambition to create an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe is still waiting for its fulfilment, and ways of achieving that is up to debate.

The Pirate movement is ready to take on the pressing problems of today and the future and promote the possibilities of a real and sustainable cultural and social development, in a free and open society for responsible citizens. There are now around 50 Pirate Parties established across the world, among them 18 in the common organisation in Europe. This is their common program for the EU-elections 2024 and beyond.

Here is my suggestion for the preamble:

The Pirate Party is not just another political party, it is an international movement that was born on the internet. The internet has been redefining the way we communicate, work and live and it still continues to change how humanity interacts and develops.

Conservative forces are afraid of the changes, the freedom of communication, disruption of classic concepts for intellectual property, and a new dimension of interaction and collaboration made possible by the internet. They try to control it, contain it and use it for constant surveillance of all people.

The Pirate Party does counter these ambitions. Instead of for control we want to use technology to provide greater freedom, access to knowledge, stimulation of creativity, and space for collaboration.

We do believe that a society has to be free, fair, and sustainable.

Free means a society in which each individual has the freedom to develop their potential, only limited but also supported by the common wellbeing of the society. Freedom and responsibility are two sides of the same coin.

Fair society and economy provide participation and living in dignity.

Sustainable is when material and immaterial resources of nature and society are handled in a way that is not destroying, depleting, or degrading them.

Freedom, fairness, and sustainability are universal standards and we want to make sure they are established world wide. We want to make sure that future generations have the means for living in freedom and dignity.

Pirate Party and the EU

The EU is a prime example for peaceful cooperation but we see a lot of necessary improvements.

The democratic foundation of the EU is insufficient. Political processes have to become more transparent, understandable, and accessible for the citizens. The parliament as the only directly elected body has to have more political power, like the right for law initiatives.

Sharing is caring
https://www.instagram.com/p/CshCGVXSqcB/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

We must not forget to point out that the basis of the internet is a new global culture of sharing (and creativity). It is about a basic instinct that is overlooked in the industrial discourse of competition (which has its place but is not basic). Sharing is caring - do all of us use that proverb? So, the shock that struck when filesharing was criminalised can be explained by the much larger context of sharing of programs and information on the early net. And that the sharing culture is alive is for example illustrated by the free sharing of Chat GP3.

Some comment on The Bug’s text. I think it contains most of the relevant comments I share.

To be a bit detailed, I can point out some places where I will use other words. Firstly, and most important to me, as I have said from the start are two things that missing:

1. Pointing out that we are representing a new global culture of creativity, free knowledge and sharing with or without the exchange of money, that is the basis for the internet. A culture to promote on the net and offline (is that to brave a vision?) The Bug puts it a bit less concrete: “a new dimension of interaction and collaboration made possible by the internet”.

2. Explaining the name Pirate parties, overcoming a great hurdle for new people to join us. (not in The Bug’s text.)

Then some minor differences.

The Bug writes: we want to use technology to provide greater freedom … etc , introducing technology in general. Sometimes non technological solutions to problems are better in a creative culture, in my mind. Freedom from technological perspectives, allowing for social and individual.

I agree on the need for more power to the Parliament inside the EU structure. However, to be a real change, the ideological policies in the Treaties should be removed, allowing for freer choices of policies.

I see I want to include his concepts of fair economy, and dignity. Will do.

Note: the text proposed at that moment is at the top of this discussion. (The final text is much shorter and can be found in a channel next to this.