Defense Policy & Cybersecurity

Defense Policy

Pirates support joint efforts to protect nations of the European Union. Any European Armed forces (existing or newly created) must be put under supervision of the European Parliament, as the directly elected body of the EU.

Pirates want to pay special attention to the stabilization of conflict outbreaks and fragile states, as their instability is a source of problems for the entire international community. Conflict resolution has to be based on respect for International Law.

Pirates reject the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and support the motivation for their gradual elimination from the arsenals of countries that possess them. Pirates want to ban the use of lethal autonomous weapon systems, while preserving the ability to research emerging technologies. Defense investment should be directed more towards research into non-lethal defense means and capabilities.

The Pirates strive for better information sharing on arms export licence decisions and denials, to ensure a coherent EU arms export policy. The EU should further increase its support for Arms Trade Treaty implementation and universalisation to reduce the possibility of export of arms into areas of conflict via countries with loose arms trade regulation. The Pirates demand the application of the UN tool for marking and tracking of military weapons (small arms). All small arms for military use produced in the EU or outside the EU under license of an EU manufacturer have to be marked with a tamper-proof method to ensure that each weapon can be uniquely identified.

Cyber Defense

Pirates are of the opinion that international law also applies to cyberspace. Pirates support the UN Standards for Responsible State Behavior in Cyberspace, eleven voluntary and non-binding rules that describe what states should and should not do in cyberspace.

In accordance with our principles of technical development and transparent conduct of power, the Pirates support an international treaty on cyber warfare. The treaty will bind signatories to declare any use of cyber weapons. Under cyber weapons falls all software and IT systems that, through ICT networks, monitor, manipulate, deny, disrupt, degrade or destroy targeted information systems or networks of both foreign governments and individuals. Additionally, signatories will commit themselves to not actively undermine the security of civilian systems.

Pirates want clear, transparent criteria and selection procedures for evaluating suppliers and their security. The criteria should include the observance of human rights and the rule of law according to the legal order to which the (final) company, incl. its subcontractors, falls; and also compliance with international law.

An important part of the state’s cyber defense should be its citizens, both actively involved and passively instructed and informed. Pirates promote education and motivation in cybersecurity education, hackatons, and adequate financial evaluation of cyber experts in administration.

Dear all,

As a thematic coordinator of International Affairs, I also thought I am supposed to draft the Defense Policy Part, with cybersecurity, as that is my main field. I was made aware this has been a misunderstanding on my part, however I already did it, so please do feel free to use it to your liking. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi marketa my team and i is still working on it too especially for the defence because I was asked to do it. we put our draft in too today. we could discuss it than.

thank you :slight_smile: we feel free, and we have to have to cooperate in this case because in foreign politics we have the defence part in mind and in Defence the foreign politics.

Our approach

The EU must be empowered to defend its security against every thread and every field. For this it is necessary to better integrate the armed forces of the member states and to create the necessary basis for this at EU level. The distant goal here is a common European army under the legal control of the EU Parliament.

Due to a changing world situation, pirates support an independent and capable defense industry. At the same time, however, the export of weapons, technologies and dual-use goods must be handled restrictively, since these systems and technologies can also be used contrary to international law and also against the EU itself and its interests.

In order to be able to better counter hybrid threats and disruptive changes in the geopolitical situation, it is necessary to create an Interdisciplinary security council. This EU Security Council, which shall be under parliamentary control, should analyze the security situation and threats across the board and coordinate and control security efforts. This Council should be used to identify threats and build up capacities to be able to fulfill the tasks. Resilience against disinformation, cyber warfare, economic warfare to strengthend. Dependencies of supply chains, energy and critical raw materials must be sustainably reduced.

Pirates reject the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and support the motivation for their gradual elimination from the arsenals of countries that possess them. Pirates support initiatives to ban the use of lethal autonomous weapon systems, while preserving the ability to research emerging technologies.

Pirates want to pay special attention to the stabilization of conflict outbreaks and fragile states, as their instability is a source of problems for the entire international community. Conflict resolution has to be based on respect for International Law.

Summary to the jitsi Meeting:
We focused on the “Alex Team Approach” and will include some parts of Marketa too. We have the opinion to see defence not only the military part and see it in an interdisciplinary way. Daniel Mönch show us his own very detailed Texts. Padding Piratensommer
We have to review in Detail because it was not mentioned to me responsible for the Defence part before. His opinion is we should go more in detail, I think we don’t have to write a master Tesis.

My team and I will review all and prepare differerent proposals for Strasbourg. Everyone interested send me some mentions and other stuff to integrate it. Especially Africa strategy was mentioned from Daniel.

We have a guests in the meeting with a nickname of a former member of the German pirate party now member of the German Sozial Democrats.

My apologies for this being late. Here is another suggestion from Paul Diegel and Ondrej Kubaric. Maybe you want to include something of it in the final Text.

Security and Defense
The European Union is fighting a war in its Eastern periphery, while still relying largely on the protection of the United States. The rise of China as a peer competitor to the United States and the first brewing conflicts over Taiwan, indicate that the US’ focus, resources and staff will shift towards Asia, leaving the European Union exposed. We call for the creation of modern European defence forces, that must replace our current fragmented and costly national armies. Asymmetric weapons systems that apply emerging technologies should be a priority in closing the deterrence gap that will result from a US withdrawal. Cyberattacks remain the fastest growing area of international conflict and will increase further. Pirates fight for the security of European Digital infrastructure and for a homegrown digital industry that is designed with security and privacy at its core. European scientists and engineers are our comparative advantage. European spending on science and development must remain comparable with our closest competitors to attract and keep the brightest minds in the European Union. Offensive and defensive European cyber capabilities must remain up to date and should show their effectiveness in frequent war-gaming simulations. The need to defend ourselves cost-effectively, requires that national defence competencies are merged and duplications removed. The European Treaties must be modernised and Security and Defense Policy requires more direct European competencies to achieve this.

the final text before I see your stuff. I Think focus on the macron statement would be problematic and we will see a lot of changes next month until the eu election. Have in mind Target of China and Russia is to divide and conquer. The other thing is that we have a defence Focus, international stuff is in the other group with Marketa.

Final Draft:
The EU must be empowered to defend its security interests and in doing so, make a greater contribution to global security. To reach this, it is necessary to articulate common guidelines and therefor build up the capabilities to achieve these. An essential part is a meaningful integration of the separate national armed forces into a body of the EU. The distant goal here is to create a common European army under democratic control.

Due to the instable world situation, pirates support a domestic and capable defense industry. This goes with a strive for better information sharing on arms export license decisions and denials, to ensure a coherent EU arms export policy as well as an increased support for countries share the core values of the EU Charta or in self defence.

In order to be able to counter hybrid threats and disruptive changes in the geopolitical situation, it is necessary to create an interdisciplinary security council. This EU Security Council, which shall be under democratic control, should analyze the security situation and threats across the board and, in times of crisis, coordinate and control security efforts. Resilience against disinformation, cyber warfare, economic warfare needs to be strengthened and organized by a dedicate EU institution. Dependencies on supply chains, energy and critical raw materials from fragile or authoritarian nations must be sustainably reduced.

Pirates reject the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and support the reduction of arsenals in countries that possess them. Pirates support initiatives to ban the use of systems used for autonomous or any form of digital warfare, while preserving the ability to research emerging technologies.

We would like to add a sentence with a statement that EU member states are allowed to use their own military to defend their own interests. For example the dutch can solo defend their islands Aruba, Bonaire and Curacau without permission from the EU.

Hi! I have a few proposals to the existing text in terms of language, as the current one is not always really clear, or not a good English; as well as an amendment with unacceptable part for PPCZ; and a new paragraph, adding some depth to our programe.

I am very sorry, but the current draft is very insufficient. I am not sure why opinions of defense experts have not been taken on board, but random NEW bodies are being created (?!), without a common agreement. This is not acceptable to the PPCZ. I put the proposed changes here: Defense & Security Draft CEEP 2024 Changes - Dokumenty Google

As I say, most of them are just improving language, so that it is a proper English, but I mark in yellow the content-ones.

Everything okay with that, there are CZ Pirates there in the creation process

But I have to talk first with the others, hybride Treads are more than cyberattacks or economic warfare… Its not only cyber attacks, we have to tackle the Situation in a interdisciplinary way, we don’t need a separate body we but we need to address the interdisciplinary approach, I will go thought that again, but I understand that a new EU Body are not the best thingIn order to be able to counter hybrid threats and disruptive changes in the geopolitical situation,

New Aproach

New:

The EU must be empowered to defend its security interests and in doing so, make a greater contribution to global security. To achieve this, it is necessary to articulate common guidelines and build up the required capabilities. Pirates support an essential part is a meaningful integration of the separate national armed forces, with the end goal of creating a common European army under democratic control.

Pirates want to help with stabilization of conflict outbreaks and fragile states, as their instability is a source of problems for the entire international community. Due to the instable world situation, pirates support a domestic and capable defense industry. This goes with a strive for better information sharing on arms export licencse decisions and denials, to ensure a coherent EU arms export policy as well as an increased support for countries that share the core values of the The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

In order to counter hybrid threats and disruptive changes in the geopolitical situation, it is necessary to look at these theats in an interdisciplinary way, ensuring more than one perspective. Resilience against current and future threats (from disinformation to cyber- and economic warfare and hybrid threats) needs to be strengthened. Dependencies on supply chains, energy and critical raw materials from fragile or authoritarian nations must be sustainably reduced. Pirates want clear, transparent criteria and selection procedures for evaluating suppliers and their security in respect of international law and human rights.

Pirates reject the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and support the reduction of arsenals in countries that possess them. Pirates support initiatives to ban the use of systems used for autonomous or any form of digital warfare, while preserving the ability to research emerging technologies.

Next meeting Tuesday: 06.06.2023 - 20:00 in Jitsty:​​​​​​​ https://jitsi.piratpartiet.se/ceep

latest

The European Union must be empowered to defend its security interests and in doing so, make a greater contribution to global security. To achieve this, the EU must articulate common guidelines and build up the necessary capabilities. Pirates support an integration of currently separate national armed forces, with the long-term goal of creating a common European army under sufficient democratic control.

Our goal is the stabilisation of fragile states and the mitigation of conflict outbreaks, as this instability is a security issue for the entire international community. Due to the increasingly unstable global security landscape, Pirates support a capable domestic defence industry. This goes with a strive for better information sharing on arms export licence decisions and denials, to ensure a coherent EU arms export policy as well as an increased support for countries that share the core values of the The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
​​​​​​​
Pirates follow an interdisciplinary approach, ensuring more than one perspective in countering hybrid threats and adjusting to disruptive geopolitical shifts. We aim to strengthen European resilience against current and future threats of hybrid warfare, disinformation, cyber attacks and economic coercion. Our current dependencies on fragile and often hostile authoritarian nations in the fields of energy supply, critical raw materials and general supply chains must be sustainably reduced. Pirates want clear and transparent criteria and selection procedures for evaluating suppliers and their adherence to international law and human rights.

Pirates reject the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and support the reduction of global arsenals of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. Pirates support initiatives to ban the use of lethal autonomous weapon systems in kinetic and digital warfare, while preserving our European capacity to research and develop emerging technologies.

Really the Final

The European Union must be empowered to defend its security interests and in doing so, make a greater contribution to global security. To achieve this, the EU must articulate common guidelines and build up the necessary capabilities. Any need for military autonomy of Member States should not be misused against the common European spirit of cooperation. Pirates support an integration of currently separate national armed forces, with the long-term goal of creating a common European army under sufficient democratic control.

Our goal is the stabilisation of fragile states and the mitigation of conflict outbreaks, as this instability is a security issue for the entire international community. Due to the increasingly unstable global security landscape, Pirates support a capable domestic defence industry. This goes with a strive for better information sharing on arms export licence decisions and denials, to ensure a coherent EU arms export policy as well as an increased support for countries that share the core values of the The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
​​​​​​​
Pirates follow an interdisciplinary approach, ensuring more than one perspective in countering hybrid threats and adjusting to disruptive geopolitical shifts. We aim to strengthen European resilience against current and future threats of hybrid warfare, disinformation, cyber attacks and economic coercion. Our current dependencies on fragile and often hostile authoritarian nations in the fields of energy supply, critical raw materials and general supply chains must be sustainably reduced. Pirates want clear and transparent criteria and selection procedures for evaluating suppliers and their adherence to international law and human rights.

Pirates reject the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and support the reduction of global arsenals of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. Pirates support initiatives to ban the use of lethal autonomous weapon systems in kinetic and digital warfare, while preserving our European capacity to research and develop emerging technologies.